The British Council works in partnership with art and architecture schools and organisations throughout the UK to support their students and volunteers to embark on a one-month fellowship at the Venice Biennale.
The benefits for partner institutions
The programme offers partners the unique opportunity to become actively involved in the Venice Biennale and contribute to the British Pavilion’s research project. Partners can send some of their brightest students or most motivated volunteers to Venice to embark on a unique personal and creative experience. All institutional partners are also actively encouraged to adopt the Biennale themes as part of their academic programme and have the chance to use the British Pavilion for seminars and workshops when taking student tours to Venice.
What our partners say
"Although our trip was a short collaborative exercise, it was such a great opportunity and pleasure to have time to display, share and reflect upon the content that the students had collected on their trip with the British Council Fellows. The British Pavilion basement is an ideal space for projection and discussion. From a teaching perspective, it brings vitality to a project and an opportunity to focus on the research and its potential whilst actually in Venice."
- Diane Cochrane, Tutor, Kent School of Architecture
What our Fellows say
"It is a fantastic chance to meet students, and visitors alike, from a range of disciplines and walks of life. This proved especially beneficial as it encouraged the opportunity to discuss your ideas with creative people and receive diverse yet inspiring opinions."
- Lua Garcia, Venice Fellow 2014, The Cass School of Design
The Fellowship programme has been made possible through partnerships with universities and arts and architecture organisations. We are delighted to be partnering with 18 art and architecture schools and organisations in 2017.
See which partners we are working with
Here are the partners we worked with in 2014 and 2016:
- Arts University Bournemouth
- The Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London
- Belfast Exposed Photography
- Bow Arts Trust
- Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London
- Kent School of Architecture, University of Kent
- The Leeds School of Architecture, Leeds Beckett University
- Leeds Metropolitan University
- Manchester School of Architecture
- PLACE, Northern Ireland’s Built Environment Centre
- Queen’s University Belfast
- The Sir John Cass Faculty of Art, Architecture & Design (CASS), London Metropolitan University
- The Open University
- University of Dundee
- University of East London
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Kent
- University of Liverpool
- University of Ulster
- University of Warwick
- Xi’an Jiaotong – Liverpool University (XJTLU), China