We are delighted to announce that the Art Fund will be supporting five Fellowships recruited from UK-based galleries or museums as part of the Venice Fellowships Programme at the 2019 Venice Art Biennale.
The Venice Fellowships is a unique opportunity for students and graduates, and early-career researchers, artists and cultural professionals to spend a month in Venice during one of the world’s most significant art biennales – embarking on skills development training, and splitting their time between stewarding the British Pavilion and conducting independent research.
Fellows each receive a grant of £1,600 to cover their travel, accommodation and living costs whilst in Venice. They also attend a fully funded two-day Induction School residency in London on 26th and 27th February 2018 in order to receive in-depth training ahead of the Biennale.
The stewarding aspect of the Fellowships supports professional learning, including but not limited to:
- Engaging a professional, public and international audience with the British Pavilion exhibition and its content
- Building international and professional networks
- Exhibition management and programming
- Condition checking artwork
- Teamwork in the day-to-day operations of the pavilion
- Online communications around an exhibition
The research aspect of the Fellowship is intended to enrich the British Pavilion exhibition and Biennale through academic and creative responses. However, research may also support a Fellow’s independent inquiry, and can be linked to your institution’s own programmes.
Who is on the Selection Committee?
A range of representatives from the Visual Arts, Architecture Design Fashion and Venice Biennale teams at the British Council.
Who is eligible to apply?
We’re looking for institutions who fit the following criteria:
- Are based in the UK.
- Are able to recruit a Fellow appropriate to the Programme who will significantly benefit from the experience from your institution’s learning or community programmes.
- Are able to support the appointed Fellow to get the most out of participating in the Programme before, during and after their one-month residency in Venice.
- Will benefit as an institution from this international opportunity.
How do I apply?
Read the partner guidelines
Complete and email the application form to Genevieve.Marciniak@britishcouncil.org
What if I have questions?
Please see the application guidelines first. If you still have questions, email Genevieve.email@example.com, allowing up to two working days for a reply.
When is the deadline?
Friday 7 December 2018 at 12:00 midday (GMT)
Successful applicants will be notified by Wednesday 12 December 2018, and Fellows appointed by 24 January 2019.
For more information, please see the partner guidelines.