• 1896
  • 1898
  • 1900
  • 1902
  • 1904
  • 1906
  • 1908
  • 1911
  • 1913
  • 1915
  • 1916
  • 1917
  • 1918
  • 1919
  • 1923
  • 1925
  • 1929
  • 1931
  • 1933
  • 1935
  • 1937
  • 1939
  • 1941
  • 1943
  • 1945
  • 1947
  • 1949
  • 1951
  • 1953
  • 1955
  • 1957
  • 1959
  • 1961
  • 1963
  • 1965
  • 1967
  • 1969
  • 1971
  • 1973
  • 1974
  • 1975
  • 1977
  • 1979
  • 1981
  • 1983
  • 1985
  • 1987
  • 1989
  • 1992
  • 1998
  • 2001
  • 2015
  • 2016
  • 2017
  • 2018
  • 2019
  • 2020
  • 2021
  • 2022
 

Group Show

1909

1909

VIII (8) Art

Explore Timeline
The Central Room, 1909

The Central Room, 1909

On the 22nd April 1909 the British pavilion was opened on the occasion of the 8th Venice Biennale; the initiative of a small committee of British enthusiasts acting on the encouragement of the Secretary General of the Biennale, Antonio Fradeletto.

The British was one of three foreign pavilions inaugurated in 1909, the Hungarian and the Bavarian (from 1912 the German Pavilion) being the other two. Under the terms of the Convention agreed between the British Committee and the Municipality of Venice signed early in 1909, the pavilion was purchased from the Municipality for £3,000 and the land on which it stood was leased to the Committee for a nominal rent of ten shillings a year. The money for the pavilion was provided by a single benefactor, Sir David Salomans.

Only a few months remained until the exhibition was due to open: construction of a new pavilion was therefore impossible, and Fradeletto offered the Committee a builiding which had been constructed as a Cafe - Restaurant in 1887 by the chief engineer of the Comune of Venice, Enrico Trevisanato, for the Esposizione Nazionale Artistica - a direct antecendent to the Biennale first held eight years later - which took place in the Giardini in the summer of that year.

The conversion of the Cafe was undertaken by the British architect E. A Rickards. His alterations to Trevisanato's sober classical building were relatively modest, consisting principally in the creation of additional exhibition space at the back.

The rear loggia, which mirrored that at the front, was enclosed to create a new gallery, with large windows filling in the space between the four outer columns. In addition, two rooms on the corners at either side of this long gallery were constructed. A wider entrance door was made, with a flat lintel replacing the existing decorative one; the two windows on either side of it were blocked in, and balconies on either side of the loggia were added. A marble tablet inscribed with 'GRAN BRETAGNA' was fixed over the entrance. The pavilion now comprised six galleries, five smaller ones flanking the large central room. Its exhibition rooms have remained essentially unchanged since this date.

Committee: the Earl of Plymouth (Chairman), Lord Montagu of Beaulieu (Vice-Chairman), Thomas Lane Devitt, Sam Wilson, Robert Alfred Workman, Marcus Bourne Huish (Treasurer), Paul George Konody (Secretary).
Architectural Consultant: E.A. Rickards.
Artistic Sub-Committee: Frank Brangwyn, Grosvenor Thomas, Sir George Frampton. (Thomas hung the works).

Brangwyn's designs were used in the interior of the Pavilion.

Images

  • The Central Room, 1909
  • The Long gallery of the Pavilion, 1909

People (110)

British Pavilion

  • M E Atkins
  • Charles W Bartlett
  • Robert Anning Bell
  • Samuel John Lamorna Birch
  •   » Muirhead Bone
  • Alexander K Brown
  • E C Austen Brown
  • Thomas Austen Brown
  • Robert Burns
  • Frederick Burridge
  •   » David Young Cameron
  • Katharine Cameron
  • Gerard Chowne
  • F Cadogan Cowper
  • Mary Davis
  • Nelson Dawson
  • Isabelle Dods Withers
  • Alfred Drury
  • Alfred East
  • Romilly Fedden
  • John Duncan Fergusson
  • Alexander Fisher
  • J H Vignoles Fisher
  • William Russell Flint
  • Robert Gemmell Hutchinson
  • Albert Goodwin
  • James Guthrie
  • Axel Herman Haig
  • Fred Hall
  • Oliver Hall
  • Peter Alexander Hay
  • George Henry
  • George Houston
  • Herbert Hughes-Stanton
  • Cecil Arthur Hunt
  • Alexander Jamieson
  • Biddy Macdonald Jamieson
  • William Kennedy
  • James G Laing
  • Maurice Lambert
  • John Lavery
  • William Lee-Hankey
  • Horace Mann Livens
  • William Llewellyn
  • Albert Ludovici
  • Charles H Mackie
  • Fred Mayor
  • Robert McG Coventry
  • William McTaggart
  • S. Melton Fisher
  • Frank Mura
  • Catherine Maude Nichols
  • Robert Buchan Nisbet
  • Hugh L Norris
  •   » William Orpen
  • Stuart Park
  • James Paterson
  • S J Peploe
  • Arthur Douglas Peppercorn
  • Joseph Langsdale Pickering
  • Frederick William Pomeroy
  • Henry Poole
  • Bertram Priestman
  • James Pryde
  • Arthur Rackham
  • Edyth Starkie Rackham
  • Cecil Rea
  • Constance (Halford) Rea
  • Alexander Wallace Rimington
  • Nora Murray Robertson
  • Alexander Roche
  • William Rothenstein
  • Ruskin Pottery and Enamel Works (W Howson Taylor)
  • Henry Scott Tuke
  • Mark Senior
  •   » Charles Shannon
  • T L Shoosmith
  •   » Frank Short
  • Joseph Simpson
  • Gerald Spencer Pryse
  • Fred Stratton
  • Leonard Campbell Taylor
  • The Pilkington's Tile and Pottery Co Ltd
  • Grosvenor Thomas
  • William Walls
  • Edward Arthur Walton
  • Ernest Waterlow
  • Charles J Watson
  • James Whitelaw Hamilton
  • Harry Wilson
  • Alfred Withers

Other British exhibitors

International Rooms
  •   » Muirhead Bone
  • Robert Bryden
  • Frederick Burridge
  •   » David Young Cameron
  • Alfred East
  • A Hugh Fisher
  • Hedley Fitton
  • Robert Goff
  •   » Francis Seymour Haden
  • Herbert Haseltine
  • Hubert von Herkomer
  • Charles Holroyd
  •   » Charles Shannon
  •   » Frank Short
  • E M Synge

Click on the   icon to explore the work of the artists in the British Council Collection Website.

JavaScript is disabled in your browser. This will degrade or remove some of the website's functionality. Try enabling JavaScript. JavaScript is disabled in your browser. This will degrade or remove some of the website's functionality. Try enabling JavaScript.